Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Gigi

Customer Question

Gigi
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Gigi is a 1958 American Metrocolor musical romantic comedy film directed by Vincente Minnelli. It's also a nice tune by Lerner and Loewe. I don't think that that's the information you needed, however. There's nothing else posted other than "Gigi". Please respond with additional information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmph, I wrote the whole question! The movie is where I got the name, btw.
Gigi is a 7 year old Great Pyrenees. She has had swollen gums for over a year. Her teeth are clean, (even below the gum line, because I've always brushed them. My vet can't figure it out. I have changed her food, she is not on any regular meds, but does take fish oil daily. There weren't any changes at the time this started. It doesn't seem to bother her, but I worry about the gums getting dirty.
Thanks!

I'm sorry for the trouble. I've had problems accessing your question once again to boot. In any event...

It's important to note that in spite of your good care a considerable amount of pathology can exist at the gum line as well as subgingivally and only dental X-rays will identify the subgingival pathology. In other words, her swollen gums may reflect both gumline and subgingival pathology. Here's a synopsis of gingival hypertrophy for you: http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/digestive/c_multi_gingival_hyperplasia

Please continue our conversation if you wish.