Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Out puppy got into my "lunch" bag ... it was all torn up

Customer Question

out puppy got into my "lunch" bag ... it was all torn up when I got home. it had Emergen-C.. but only one packet was chewed on. A couple of Halls Defense sugar free, and a Not opened, package of tuna.. the kind that comes in like a tin foil packaging. ( not sure what else was in it. The little pup 4 pound tea cup poodle will not eat,, drink, acts like her tummy hurts.. and our 60 pound Golden I am sure helped.. tear up the lunch box.. do you think they will be ok. The Golden seems fine.. it is the little one I am concerned about
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

No worries about the Emergen-C. That should not cause any issues. However, the Halls Defense is potentially a big problem because it contains xylitol. I am very worried for your little dog and because of her symptoms must recommend you proceed to your closest emergency clinic for a check to ensure there is no hypoglycemia associated with xylitol toxicosis. This can be potentially life-threatening hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), with difficulty walking, and even collapse and seizures.

Your larger dog is at low risk with only 2-3 of the Halls tablets possibly eaten.

Your smaller dog may be only experiencing normal gastrointestinal upset from eating a variety of unusual items, which would be our best case scenario, but due to concern about xylitol, I would not take a risk with a wait-and-see approach. Better to proceed with safety, which means have her examined tonight and have her glucose level checked.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.