Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My daughters adult male boxer ingested two or more corn cobs

Customer Question

My daughters adult male boxer ingested two or more corn cobs a month ago, regurgitated pieces of corn cob as recently at yesterday and today showed a loss of appetite haven eaten none of his food this morning or this evening. Any thoughts that you might have would be appreciated. By the way, the sections of corn cob had turned black.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Luke and him eating corn cobs. I am happy to help you this evening. Unfortunately corn cobs can bounce around in the stomach for months and months until they get stuck somewhere that causes a problem or causes enough irritation to make them vomit. So unfortunately this is really concerning that he has lost his appetite as it is likely that part of a corn cob is blocking his stomach or intestines. I have seen this multiple times unfortunately. The corn cob turns black because of acid in the stomach. This is a serious situation and he needs to be seen tonight by a vet to have x rays done and see if the corn cob can be located and even possibly have surgery to go in and remove it. The longer it is causing an obstruction in his digestive tract the more damage that can be done and may not be reversible if to much time passes. So having him seen tonight is definitely a must. Unfortunately most people do not know how dangerous corn cobs can be.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Hi Jim,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Luke. How is everything going?
Dr. Whitehead