Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 8 yr old Basset developed a tumore between s lower jaw

Customer Question

My 8 yr old Basset developed a tumore between his lower jaw bone and lower cheek. The mass is meaty/fleshy and little pieces fall off. He produces lots of saliva and the smell is god awful. We took him to the Vet he felt if he was to cut it out it would likely grow back 2-fold. Another bonus as you know one has to keep on top of cleaning the ears to help avoid ear mites. Well now with massive amounts of saliva we really need to keep down on the head shaking, if we don’t our newly painted walls, wood-work and antiques need to be washed down a couple times a week. We need help, any thoughts?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my is Dr. Alleyne and I am a licensed veterinarian. I am hoping to help you with your Bassett hound today. When did the tumor first appear?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
8 months

Thanks for the additional information. Did he have any x-rays of his skull? Based on what you are describing it sounds like your Basset hound has a very aggressive cancer on his lower jaw. Some of the most aggressive cancers that can occur on the jaw include a sarcoma which can infect the skin then eventually invade the bone, or osteosarcoma which is a bone cancer that starts in the bone then invades the skin. When these tumors invade the skin or bone they make those areas more susceptible to infection which is leading to the awful smell. As far as options I would recommend that you have xrays of the area to help determine if the bone is involved. Then I would also recommend x-rays of the lungs to make sure there is no evidence of the tumor in the lungs. A biopsy would be needed to get a definitive diagnosis that may just involve getting a piece of the tumor and sending it off to a lab. Once the results come back you will then have a better idea of what is the best treatment and prognosis for the tumor will be. Depending on what the tumor comes back as, a part of the jaw may need to be removed to get all of the cancer.