Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog is walking sideways and unable to climb stairs

Customer Question

My dog is walking sideways and unable to climb stairs without complication. There seems to be a problem with back left leg
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Based on what you report it is a bit difficult to exactly narrow down Gooch's problem. He could have pain in his back/spine which is also leading to weakness in one leg or shooting pain. He could have pain in the one leg which is making it hard for him to maneuver the stairs.

If you feel he is not worsening (there is no progressive loss of use of both of the hind legs or overt crying out in pain), then you could safely monitor him tonight. If this persists into tomorrow, then he really needs an exam with his veterinarian. However, if he is worsening in any way, especially if markedly painful, then I must recommend you have him seen now on emergency.

There are no medications that would be useful right now that I can recommend as we do not know exactly the problem, and anything you give might interact with a more effective pain relief drug your vet might prescribe when he is seen.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.