Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Just found my 10 lb Dixie chewing on a 75 mg lyrics. Not all

Customer Question

Just found my 10 lb Dixie chewing on a 75 mg lyrics. Not all of it was gone out of the capsule. Can I watch him as above
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your little one chewed on a Lyrica (pregabalin) tablet.
This is a medication that we can use in dogs for seizure control in dogs with epilepsy.
Recommended doses are up to 4 mg/kg (2.2 pounds). A 10 pound (10lb / 2.2 pounds per kilogram = 4.54kgs) or 4.54 kg dog then could take as much as 18mgs (4.54kg X 4mg/kg = 18mgs). If Dixie ingested more than 1/4 of the pill then she took a higher than usual dose, but it is unlikely to be much of a problem if you can keep her confined and quiet for the next day or two.
Adverse effects from the drug included sedation, incoordination, dizziness and weakness. This drug does not appear to be truly toxic even at much higher doses and the effects should wear off over the next 24 to 48 hours.
I would keep her away from stairs and off furniture so she doesn't fall.
To try and settle her stomach if she seems nauseous or vomits you can give either:
1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at 1/4 of a 10mg tablet for a pup 5 to 10 pounds every 12 hours
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at 1/4 of a 10mg tablet for a pup 5 to 10 pounds every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and should help her feel less nauseous. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if needed.
Then feed her a homemade bland diet is a mix of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or lean boiled hamburger and 2/3 boiled, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow. Feed small meals frequently.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.