Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My53 pound golden retriever ingested a 25 mg pill that fell

Customer Question

my53 pound golden retriever ingested a 25 mg pill that fell on ground of metroprolol succinate. Gave her some dog food and 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide to try to induce vomiting. No results.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am sorry to hear Elle swallowed the pill tonight. I am happy to help you this evening. To induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide I recommend 1 tablespoon per 10 lbs of body weight by mouth. So she would need at least 5 tablespoons to induce vomiting. Then you wait 15 minutes and repeat the dose. You can repeat up to 3 times to try and induce vomiting. If you can get her to vomit that will help make sure we do not see any problems with this medication.

If you cannot get her to vomit then you will want to watch her for any signs of problems. This is a medication that lowers blood pressure and we do use in some cases in dogs. The dose is usually between 6.25 mg to 25 mg in dogs so she did not receive a large over dose for a dog her size. But when they do not have high blood pressure to start with this can lower her blood pressure and cause some issues. So watch her for passing out, dizziness, seizures, or a signs of confusion. If you see any of this have her seen by an emergency vet. So watch her closely for any signs of problems if you cannot get her to vomit. If you do get her to vomit then most likely you will not see any problems.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could not get her to vomit. She has had about 7-8 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide,
That's ok with the dose she took she should not have serious side effects. So monitor her closely and if you see any signs I previously mentioned have her seen. Otherwise if she sleeps through the night with no issues then she will be good to go.