Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog, Sammy, suddenly experience weakness in s back legs.

Customer Question

My dog, Sammy, suddenly experience weakness in his back legs. He
s 10 yrs old
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Is he on any medications?

4- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

5- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the first time noticing the weakness. He's seems relatively healthy, outside of having big lumps in his body. His vet said they were fatty deposits. He has big ones, though, one in/near his belly, one where his front leg meets his chest, one on his back. Earlier this year, he had surgery to take a lump off of his eyelid. All went well and he recovered quickly. He has recently developed a hacking cough, more like clearing his throat. He eats, drinks, and takes his walks normally. He lives in the backyard most of his time, only coming in the house to eat and visit a bit. He's about 95 pounds, weight has stayed consistent. He has soft stools, not really diarrhea. He eats Verus lamb and rice, weight maintenance--2 cups + a half can of Merrick wet foods. Meat, lamb, etc. few snacks, as his tummy can't take it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's not on any medications. He basically spends his days and most nights sleeping under a lilac bush in the backyard. He stays in the house overnight on hot or stormy nights.I want to know what possible causes for losing his legs--or other symptoms I should look for.
Thanks, Rochelle
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Rochelle, I am sorry for the delay in response I was offline by the time you came back.

In response to your question, there are many possible reasons that would cause weakness in the back legs of an older dog. A very common cause is arthritis of the hips; other possible causes are: A pinched nerve along the back as a result of a bulging disc or even weakness secondary to a systemic disease.

To determine the exact underlying cause he will need a hands on examination by family veterinarian, xrays and blood work as initial screening test. If it is concluded that this is related to arthritis of the hips he will benefit from being placed long term on arthritis medication like rimadyl. In the meantime, you can begin to supplement with Cosequin (glucosamine) long term; this supplement helps by promoting the production of joint fluid. You can buy cosequin online, vet's office or your local pet store.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter