Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Puppy less than 1year old, diarrhea 3rd day

Customer Question

puppy less than 1year old, diarrhea 3rd day
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
What does his diarrhea look like? Any blood or mucus?
When was last wormed?
How is his appetite? Is he drinking well?
Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?
If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?
Is he up to date on vaccinations?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no history on this dog, but eats well, drinks plenty of water. Stool looks like the dog food, only water soaked.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now with his dramatic background and lack of history, it is highly advisable to consider erring on the side of caution and have those done. In regards ***** ***** that should be done now since parasites could be to blame here. But for vaccinating, we'd have to settle this first before that could be carried out.
Now as I am sure you can appreciate, just like people, pups can have diarrhea that is caused by a range of agents. Common ones at this age include bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, parasites, protozoa, malabsorption within the GI due to inflammatory GI disease (ie IBD), and general dietary indiscretions. As well, we can see this as a feature when they eat toxic or harmful items, but hopefully this is less likely here.
Now in regards ***** ***** to start, you can consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples would be cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The aim of the easily digestible diet is that it will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and diarrhea. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until the diarrhea is settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet over a week.
Since diarrhea can quickly dehydrate a dog, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. Especially since dehydration is often what makes them feel unwell. To check his hydration status to make sure he is not becoming dehydrated there are a few things we can test. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether he has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, since he is young, then you do want to have him seen by the vet before this becomes an additional issue for him .
Finally, as long as you have not seen blood in those stools, you can consider trying him today on a dog safe anti-diarrheals once you address the vomiting. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if the diarrhea is being caused by an infectious agent (ie bacteria will require antibiotics, parasites or protozoa will require anti-parasitic treatment, etc). Still it can slow the diarrhea to aid the body to absorb more water/nutrients then it would have if the diarrhea were unchecked. Furthermore, these treatments will coat the GI and could just settle the GI upset. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the ones we most commonly use in dogs are:
* Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)
* PeptoBismol (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/bismuth-subsalicylate-pepto-bismol-kaopectate)
Both are available from your local pharmacy. Furthermore, Protexin Pro-Fiber, Propectalin, or Fast Balance (which is available OTC at vet practices) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and these last few the bonus of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI. So, you can consider trying these as a short term means of trying to soothe his upset GI.
Overall, diarrhea can be triggered by a wide range of agents. Therefore, in your lad's case, you can start supportive care to settle his stomach at this stage. Though if you do try the above over the next 12-24 hours and he doesn't settle or is appearing dehydrated, then we'd want to consider getting your vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. As well, they can test a stool sample to rule out those infectious agents I noted before. Depending on the exam, his vet can treat him with antibiotics +/- anti-protozoal medication if need be to address this for him and settle this diarrhea.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )