Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Over the past few days my dog has been yelping all of a

Customer Question

Over the past few days my dog has been yelping all of a sudden. She does this about once a day. She jumps on my bed with no problem but she refuses to jump down and now she is licking her mouth obsessively. What could be wrong with her and can i give her some pain meds until i get her to the vet. She is a german lab mix 7 years old and she weighs about 70 pounds
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Can you tell me what she is doing when she yelps? Eating, drinking, or any particular activity?
How has her appetite and thirst been?
Any vomiting, gagging, retching, grass eating?
Any diarrhea or black stool?
Does she favor any leg?
Is she also reluctant to go down stairs?
Any discomfort if you press on her back or belly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everytime she yelps it is when she is laying down. Her appetite and thirst is normal. No vomiting or diarrhea or black stool. No leg she favors and will go up and down stairs with no problems. She does have a hernia. She's had it her entire life. The vet said she doesn't need surgery on it. When i rubbed it she didnt flinch like it was hurting her. She also need her nails trim. I noticed the other day a tip of her nail on the floor and she is a month past her flee and heart worm medication. I havent had acess to a car but im buying one in a few days and my first stop is the vet for her to get everything she needs
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now her hernia and her nails are not likely an issue here.
Now just since she has been laying down when she yelps, have you noticed her being restless or reluctant to lay down on her belly?
Are her gums pink or pale/white?
As well, as opposed to rubbing her belly, can you gently but firmly press on it to make sure its not tense or uncomfortable?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No she still lays down normally. Her gums are pink. When i press on her belly it didnt feel tense. She didnt seem as if it was hurting her
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
The reason for my range of questions is because Nina's behavior raises more the one concern. Her reluctance to get off the bed can be a sign of back or hip pain. Yet, the licking doesn't fit with this. Instead, to see lip licking and that reluctance, we have to be wary about abdominal discomfort as well.
Therefore, we need to tread with care for Nina and plan to have her seen as soon as you are able. In the meantime, you can try her with a low dose of Aspirin (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin). This will address any skeletal based reasons for pain. That said, since we do have potential GI concerns (even though she is showing no specific GI issues), I would strongly advise only offering the aspirin with or after food. As well, we'd want to pre-treat her with an antacid (just to avoid it causing any GI upset if there is an issue in the stomach). There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are
Pepcid (http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac.
Typically, this is given 30 minutes before food and other medications to be absorbed and in effect before offering food. Of course, you'd want to speak to her vet first if she has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.
Overall, I am concerned about Nina's signs even if they are subtle. So, you can use the above but do monitor her closely (stop the aspirin if you see any of the signs I mentioned) and plan to have a check up as soon as you are able. That way we can try to allay her discomfort in the short term but get her vet to diagnose and sort it for her once she is seen.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any ideas what could be wrong with her. Should i give her the medication or just wait. Im going to try to get her to the vet today if possible. What do you think it sounds like. Im sorry for the questions but i am petrified now.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
You don't need to be petrified. She is breathing comfortably, her gums are pink, and she isn't giving any signs of being actively in pain at this moment. Still, while that is is good that she isn't showing any issue that would warrant emergency treatment, I am afraid that it limits your and my ability to pinpoint the root of her signs. Her signs at the moment lack any focus and therefore are too vague to diagnose without examining her in person (it is one of those moments I just wish I could pop over and have a check if you know what I mean).
In regards ***** ***** to do, I do think a check sooner is better. And since we just cannot rule out abdominal based issues, I'd lean to just using the antacid first to see if that settles her before starting any specific pain relief drugs. Just because we don't want to cause GI irritation if that is the source of her signs at the moment. So, I would use that and keep an eye on her. But I do think this is a situation where we need a hands-on vet check to find what she is hiding from you to ensure we treat this as effectively as possible.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help im going to give her the antacid and try to get her in today. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,
I do think that is best for Nina.
Take care & best wishes for your lass,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, i forgot to ask how much of a dose shoild i give her. She weighs about 70 pounds
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
The doses are actually in the links provided, but if you let me know which you plan to use I can calculate that for you.
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im going to usr zantac
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Ok,
In that case, she can have one 75mg tablet every 12 hours. It can be given with a bit of food to get her to take it, but we'd usually give it 20 minutes before any meals to ensure full absorption.
Take care,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Nina. How is everything going?
nekovet