Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a Senior Dachshund that I got at six weeks of age. I

Customer Question

I have a Senior Dachshund that I got at six weeks of age. I love her so much. She is well trained and woofs at me if she needs to go out. About once a week Gretchen will vomit up a yellow frothy mix. She sometimes vomits up her food. If her tummy is upset I make white rice with bits of chicken in it. Her eyes have that bluish look to them. When she squats to pee she is almost sitting down. She sleeps most of the day when I am home. Occasionally when I pick her up she yelps. She sees herself as Security and I thank her for barking. There are times that she looks like she is confused and does not want to do. What do I do to help her that I am not doing? We do not go for walks because I had a total knee replacement. Her prey drive is very strong and she has snatched a bird out of the air. She only likes black and white cats.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Many of the signs you have described with Gretchen are old age changes. The blue haze in her eyes is likely just old age nuclear sclerosis of he eye's lens. This is natural and if she were a person, she'd just need reading glasses. Otherwise, her position while urinating ad likely her yelp when picked up as well are suggestive of old joints getting arthritic and sore. Therefore, as these signs are mild, I would suggest considering starting her on joint supportive care like glucosamine or chondroitin. There are a range of treatments with these on the market that can be used for her. And I would note that you could also consider treatments with anti-oxidants (ie Vitamin E, Omega 3 + 6 fish oil), as these also have benefit for the brain and can reduce dementia type episodes of confusion for her as well.
Finally, I'd not be alarmed if her vomits are occasional and she is eating and drinking normally otherwise. Still, further to the light diet, I'd note that you can also use an antacid for her. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are Pepcid (http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac. Typically, this is given 30 minutes before food to be absorbed and in effect before offering food. If her vomits tend to be around breakfast time, you can even use this before bedtime to offset that. Of course, you'd want to speak to her vet first if she has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.
Overall, the majority of Gretchen's signs are just old age changes that just need a bit of the above supportive care. Therefore, I would suggest trying some of the above to see if we can settle her stomach and keep her moving comfortably in her senior years.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Vanessa-cssm replied 1 year ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you.
http://www.justanswer.com/dog-health/98vow-senior-dachshund-six-weeks-age.html
Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.