Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
I'm sorry to hear that your pup ingested 5000mg of vitamin D-3. I think that you meant 5000 IU rather than 5000mg, is that correct?
Your pup is 7 pounds, which is 3.18kgs (2.2 pounds per kilogram)
A toxic dose of D-3 is 0.5mg per kilogram of body weight or 1.6 mgs for your pup (0.5mg/kg X 3.18 kgs = 1.6 mgs)
5,000 IU = 125 micrograms = 1.25mgs (milligrams) of D-3, less than a toxic dose.
Your pup should be fine, other than possibly some mild stomach upset.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.