Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog had some deep puncture wounds in her back when I

Customer Question

My dog had some deep puncture wounds in her back when I returned from a trip. The groomer found them and the dog sitter had no idea how they got there. They seem to have healed nicely but the scab just came off (it was very thick) and took some hair with it. The skin below the scab is pink and raw (no bleeding, no pus). I would like to keep it clean. Can I use neosporin on it?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
Now I am very glad to hear that there is no pus or odor present, since those would be signs of antibiotics being indicated. Since that is not an issue, we'd just want to flush this with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute chlorohexidine, betadine, salt water) 2-3 times daily. Afterwards, we can gently pat it dry and then use Neosporin (avoid the one with numbing agents in it).
Afterwards, we want to keep her from licking it (since that will just introduce infection and undermine our supportive care). Therefore, if she can reach or even rub it on anything, do consider an e-collar or covering it with a tshirt or backwards boxers (depending where on the back it is).
Overall, since the wound sounds clean, we can use the above first aid to keep infection away while she heals. Of course, any signs of infection or if this isn't healing over the next week, then we'd want to consider having it checked by her vet if need be.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )