How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19152
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 10lb dog tried to pick up a frog with her mouth. It was

Customer Question

My 10lb dog tried to pick up a frog with her mouth. It was alive and she quickly let it go. I'm in FL and hear there are poisonous frogs here. Should I watch for any specific signs?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

Unfortunately the expert you requested is not online at present but I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I have decided to step in, I hope this OK with you. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. This is usually no problem as long as you are dealing with a frog or a non toxic species of toad as in fact most are. But non toxic frogs and toads are able to excrete a slight toxin from their skins which is bitter and designed to make animals which have picked them up drop them at once and so the frog escapes. This toxin can make your dog foam at the mouth and salivate and sometimes vomit or feel slightly unwell for an hour or so. However all you need do here is to flush out your dog's mouth with lots of water and the situation will normally correct itself within an hour or so. And whatever happens this is not usually a serious situation which would pass even if you do nothing.

2. Hopefully you were dealing with a frog which is no problem but be aware though that in some parts of the world including parts of FL USA there are poisonous species of toads and toad poisoning can be very serious or even life threatening. If this was the case with your dog then it will be getting steadily and obviously worse, and if in doubt you should take your dog to an ER vet without delay. For an in depth article including expected symptoms with poisonous toads please follow this LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.