Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 75 lb male black lab at 14 to 16 75MG rymadyl pills. He

Customer Question

Hello, my 75 lb male black lab at 14 to 16 75MG rymadyl pills. He did it while I was at work today. I'm guessing he ate them over 6 hrs ago. I fear it's too late to induce vomiting. Is that true? He is an extremely healthy dog and he is currently acting very normal. How worried should I be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

If he ate them 6 hours ago it is to late to induce vomiting. Based on his weight the dose of rimadyl he took was +/- 35mg/kg. Doses of 40mg/kg and above we see renal failure; doses of 20mg/kg we see gastrointestinal ulceration. So, at 35mg/kg I am really concern about his kidneys. I would strongly recommend having him checked by a veterinarian as soon as you can to start him on supportive care of IV fluids for 48 hours while monitoring his blood work; it is a lot easier to try to prevent renal failure than it is to treat it. In the meantime start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg every 12 hours. You can buy pepcid ac over the counter in any pharmacy.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!