Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog has developed a large bulge neck by chest

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear Marty has this growth. Is it soft and fluctuant or hard and attached? Is there heat to the area?

If you can attach a photo, directions on how to do so are here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Since it looks like you may be having difficulties with the site and I may not be on-line when you enter I will give you some information on lumps in dogs. It could potentially be an abscess or bug bite with the sudden swelling so starting with benadryl (diphenhydramine) 1 mg/ pound every 6 hours tonight along with some cool compresses to the area in 10 minute intervals.
Tomorrow (as long as there is no involvement of breathing compromise) to differentiate the cause if they are benign (noncancerous or infectious) lumps versus malignant (cancerous) lumps have your veterinarian evaluate and aspirate (poke with a needle) the lumps to evaluate the material under the microscope
This is really the only way to differentiate the concerning from the non concerning lumps definitively because a cancerous versus a noncancerous lump can appear identical on presentation
Evaluation under the microscope will be looking at the lump at a cellular level. Do the cells look normal, is it sebaceous or oil material that is benign or even fatty material indicating a lipoma or are the cells abnormal in appearance? This information is critical in order to diagnose the lump origin and whether it should be removed sooner versus later or if antibiotics and steroids are warranted to reduce the size
Some tell tale signs that a lump might be more of a concern include whether it is rapidly growing, it is bothersome (scratching, licking), it is not easily picked up from the underlying tissue indicating it is attached to the muscle layer. This can be helpful but not 100 % definitive as a fine needle aspiration would be
I always advise photographing the lump with a ruler or coin next to the lump to measure the size especially with it growing so rapidly. Having a photo tonight in comparison to tomorrow at your vet will be an added piece of the puzzle as far as what is going on with this lump.
If his breathing is affected, the lump continues to grow, begins to seep, he does begin to bother it tonight I would advise a veterinary er visit since it has grown so rapidly
Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with today
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! I will be in surgery this morning but will respond as soon as I am able to answer any questions you may have in regards ***** ***** responses
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!