Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Dog just had bordatelia and DAV2PPV and rabies, not he's

Customer Question

Dog just had bordatelia and DAV2PPV and rabies, not he's itching and seems like raised areas on skin.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** itching really bad and can't get still. Is there something I can give him?

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. If your dog is otherwise quite healthy and acting normally what you are seeing may be a minor allergic reaction of some kind to the vaccines, if this is the diagnosis then it is rarely dangerous and this is something which vets do see now and again.

2. I am aware that many people treat this with the likes of benadryl, provided your dog is otherwise fairly bright alert and happy then you should do no harm with this class of drug. Here is a link to the use of benadryl in the dog including dose rates and contraindications etc. : LINK .

3. But if your dog deteriorates further or you become further concerned then you should have a vet check him over just to be on the safe side.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you but I was unable to view anything with the link. He is 18.5 lbs, how much benadryl can I give him?

So sorry, must be some bug , here is the link again : LINK

You would usually give a 18.5 pound dog 18.5 mg of Benadryl { 1 mg per pound of the dog's bodyweight given orally twice a day }

Regards,

Dr Scott.