Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 7 year old female golden sprinted after a squirrel this

Customer Question

My 7 year old female golden sprinted after a squirrel this morning and started limping. She is putting weight on all 4 legs.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
So sorry to hear that Shaylee is limping today after chasing a squirrel. The hope is that with rest and time the lameness will resolve as if a strain or sprain, especially since she is weight bearing on the leg.
- Resting for a good week then slow return to exercise at that point to minimize risk of reinjury
- Massage up and down the leg from toes to top joint (shoulder front, hip back) to stimulate blood flow therefore healing
- Passive range of motion of the joints of that leg isolating each joint individually will help minimize stiffness and doing this once to twice daily
- Rotating warm and cool compresses on the leg, in particular any swollen joints or joints that are warm to the touch. Doing ten minute intervals of each throughout the day, warm to increase circulation while cool will help numb and relieve pain
If there is no change, significant swelling anywhere, licking obsessively on the leg, or worsening of the lameness please have your veterinarian evaluate Shaylee to determine the cause of her injury and how best to get her comfortable.
Please let me know how else I can assist you both today!
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I give her an encoated aspirin.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
You can give her aspirin if necessary but if she is weight bearing I would give her 24 hours without it since it can upset the stomach
An aspirin dose for dogs is 5 mg/ pound every 12 hours with food
Please let your veterinarian know that you have administered aspirin if you take your pet into the office because it will effect what medications would be dispensed since aspirin requires a “washout period” of 48+ hours prior to changing to another non steroidal such as rimadyl, metacam, previcox.
Administer aspirin with food and if you note any reduced appetite, vomiting, diarrhea with administration then please discontinue its use.
Please let me know any additional questions I can assist with today
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am on-line another hour tonight so please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Shaylee. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman