Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 50 lb stray that is terrified of people. She has

Customer Question

I have a 50 lb stray that is terrified of people. She has been on her own for at least 2 months that I know of. Her collar is now embedding in her neck and she is running out in a busy road and has almost been hit several times. I am wondering what I can give her to sedate her enough to capture her. I don't want to solely give ace since I know her fear can over ride the sedation. Any suggestions?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been waiting on an answer... time is of the essence with this dog...
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I applaud your caring but please note that there aren't any oral drugs - either over the counter or by prescription that you could add to her food that would reliably sedate her to the point that you could capture her. As you noted, even a high dose of Acepromazine can still allow a fractious dog to override its effect. Benzodiazepines such as diazepam, alprazolam, and clorazepate have the added disadvantage of causing paradoxical agitation in dogs such as she. Narcotics can't be prescribed by vets without having examined their patient but rarely provide the degree of sedation needed in this case in any event.
I regret that I can't offer anything more than having animal control come out and attempt to capture her for you.