Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Our puppy got a hold of a tube of Neosporin and ingested

Customer Question

Our puppy got a hold of a tube of Neosporin and ingested approx 2 tbls. What do we do?
Thanks! ***** ********@******.***
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How much does he weigh?

2- Did he eat any of the container?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, if he only ate the ointment he may develop vomiting or diarrhea otherwise he will be fine. I would observe him for the next 24 hours, if he develops vomiting or diarrhea this is what you can do:
1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 0.1-0.2 mg per pound body weight every 12 hours for 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter