Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a pit rescue, 5?, in bad shape, lethargic, thin, bald

Customer Question

Hi I have a pit rescue, 5?, in bad shape, lethargic, thin, bald & thought to be deaf. His cut ears so swollen & completely packed with wax, dirt and dead skin! He smelled BAD, but was so wary, flinching at a pat, I left him alone to get familiar & trust me. 3rd day:oatmeal bath& ear cleaner. 1st tail wag, but I worry it causes him pain as his tail is injured: jammed?the base is swollen, scratch ok but yelps if bent to the side.The tip of his short tail is untouchable:an open wound as if the end was cut off? He came with 50mg Benadryl 2x for flea allergy that looks like Demodex but without the pustules I've dealt with. His nail beds are swollen but paws pink not red or raw anywhere. A light perspiration on his skin I think is interstitial fluid. 1%IV Ivermectin oral cured 2 dogs before(off the label use) I have BactrimDS;Prednisone 10mg;Hydrocortisone 10mg. I can't pay xrays, bloodwork he needs, but I will doctor him best I can & love on him funky or not. Is he too old to fix?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Gina replied 1 year ago.
Hello:
First, let me apologize for the extended wait time..this is definitely not the norm for JustAnswer or the Expert Community.
Next, bless your heart for trying to help this poor boy. He's lucky to find someone to even TRY to help him. I'm so glad you're going to do what you can.
And last, did you still want some help with this? Since it's been so long? How is he doing at this point?
Just use the reply box to let me know either way. If you no longer need assistance, I can have Customer Service close your question.
Thanks so much!
Gina