Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 8 yr old haired dachhund seems to be breathing very

Customer Question

my 8 yr old long haired dachhund seems to be breathing very rapidly. Should I be concerned? She is panting a lot too. Otherwise she seems fine. She is eating well and still wants to play. Am I being paranpid?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Any other symptoms?

5- Is it warm where she is in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now that I think about it, its been since summer started. Temps can reach 108 or more here in Fresno, CA.
But she is an indoor dog and only goes out when nature calls.
I keep the A/C set at between 78 and 80 degrees.
Her hair has grown out to about 2 inches, which I'm sure does not help.
She has no other symptoms or medical conditions.
I think I have answered my own question, get her hair cut and lower the thermostat.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, it is possible that her panting is related to the warm weather; remember that dogs do not perspire (sweat) like we do. So, they rely on panting as one of the mechanism to regulate body temperature. It is also important to remember that increases in respiration could be a sign of an underlying medical problem like: Pain (neuromuscular disorders or abdominal), heart or lung disease, etc. to name a few causes.

I agree with you it could be the warm temperature the cause of her increase respiration. But, I would also recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian to listen to her heart/lungs make certain everything is o.k.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter