Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog Riley is a 1 and a half year old retriever mix. Two

Customer Question

Hi! My dog Riley is a 1 and a half year old retriever mix. Two weeks ago today, she had surgery to remove a foreign body from her intestine. She has been recovering very well, and was feeling almost back up to her normal rambunctious self. Two days ago,
on a road trip back from college she got sick in the car (she has never gotten car sick before) and again that day after the car ride was over. She seemed playful and was eating and drinking normally so I didn't think much of it. Today, she had diarrhea and
was drinking water this morning but not nearly as playful as usual. She didn't seem to have much of an appetite. About an hour ago she vomited and had a bowel movement that was half solid, half diarrhea and seemed a little bit gelatinous. She will no longer
eat, even when I offer turkey, and isn't drinking water and is extremely lethargic. She stopped taking tramadol for pain 3 days ago, could this be withdrawal?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
No, this is not any type of withdrawal from the Tramadol. It appears to me that the sutures holding the intestinal tract together may have failed or something related to the surgery has gone wrong. These are serious signs of a digestive disturbance and the fact that Riley will not eat, worries me tat she has developed a Peritonitis from something related to the surgery. Take Riley back to your vet as soon as possible to be safe. It is too much of a coincidence that she had a foriegn body removed so recently.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After 2 weeks? Shouldn't she have been healed by now?
Even after 2 weeks, there can be problems going on internally such as scar tissue build up that could be causing a secondary blockage...better to know now...take Riley back to your vet to be sure.