Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 15 month old was spayed last week about 2 months after

Customer Question

my 15 month old was spayed last week about 2 months after the ending of her first heat. She's producing milk, re-arranging her bed at night and has skipped the last three meals. She seems normal on walks and doesn't seem to have a temperature. Her incision looks fine. I guess it's a post-spay false pregnancy.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
You are correct that it sounds like your lass has a post-neutering false pregnancy. This won't cause her any harm and they do usually settle within a few weeks. Still, if she is showing appetite decline and since this will be taking resources from her body that she should be using to heal; I would suggest ringing her vet and updating them on this situation. They can dispense an oral hormonal treatment (ie Galastop) that will help reduce these signs for her further.
As well, with her appetite being poor with this, I would suggest tempting her to eat with a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.
Finally, if she is very nauseous with this, then you can also treat her with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)
These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.
Overall, this is highly suspicious of a false pregnancy and we'd want her vet to dispense treatment for this to just get it settled quicker and get her back to feeling like herself.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )