Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Our chihuahua had blood drawn and vet inadvertently

Customer Question

Our chihuahua had blood drawn and vet inadvertently punctured the trachea. Some selling under the neck and can feel some air pockets around the head and abdominal area. How long will this take to go away?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your dog. How long ago was this blood drawn? Why was blood being drawn? Was it for routine blood work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Blood was drawn yesterday around 10 am. The reason was for a wellness exam and also she itches a lot from allergies.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

How long did it take for the swelling and subcutaneous emphysema to show up? I'm assuming your vet is aware of all this. What did they say about this? Is she still eating and drinking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Waiting for the call
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry but I'm not set up to field a call at this time. If you want that, I can opt out to let another assist you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

I opened up for another expert to help out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks.
How long will this normally take to dissapate. She has not eaten today yet and is lethargic.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

It all depends on who's available. I can't see who else is on line at this time. If no one helps here in the next 10 minutes, I'll try to help out through the chat side. Ok?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

I can keep conversing here as that will get more information out there for hopefully the next expert to read. So your vet is aware of the swelling and the air under the skin? Did it happen immediately? What did they say would happen? Did they start any therapy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vet just requested to I bring her in
So am waiting to see her.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

That is absolutely the best thing here to do! They will want to see her and see where she's at with her situation. A physical exam is ultimately the best thing to do. I'm going to be honest here and say that jugular (neck draws) for blood samples is done all the time and I've never seen anything like what you're seeing. I'm hoping for the best for her.