Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Is there something OTC I can give a dog with a gurgling

Customer Question

Is there something OTC I can give a dog with a gurgling stomach? He's fine at night and won't eat in the morning. Comes and goes.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
If you are hearing a lot of gurgling in his stomach (which is often a combination of gas and increased GI motility), then there are some options you can use to help Toby.
In regards ***** ***** the gas itself, you can use Gas x (simethicone) at a dose of 1mg per pound of his body weight body weight every 6-8 hours to reduce these signs. As well, if he is prone to this, then regular supplementation of activated charcoal (which can be bought as a powder to mix into food or can be purchased in special pre-made dog biscuits) can be of benefit to bind the gases and reduce this for him.
Further to this, to allay the nausea that often accompanies these signs, you can also treat him with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac).
While using these we will often use a light/easily digestible diet to support the gut further. There are a range of prescription diets (ie Royal Canin Sensitivity Control, Gastrointestinal, or Hill's ID)that can be used. Or you can use a short term homemade light diet option (ie rice with boiled chicken, white fish, or scrambled egg) during these flare ups. As well, just to note, do make sure his regular diet is low in soy, as that can sometimes trigger these kinds of situations.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your link to the article on Pepcid doses doesn't work. What is the Pepcid dose? He weighs about 18 lbs.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
How odd! It should work by you just copy/pasting it into your web browser (as the website wouldn't let me post a direct link for you to click). At any rate, a 18lb dog could have 4.5-9mg every 12 hours.
All the best,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Amy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Toby. How is everything going?
nekovet