Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

90 lb 1 year old German shepherd swallowed a penny. Tho'ts?

Customer Question

90 lb 1 year old German shepherd swallowed a penny. Tho'ts? thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

This is potentially a serious situation as pennies are made of zinc and that is toxic to dogs if ingested, the zinc causes an breakdown of the red blood cells and it can be fatal under some circumstances. This tends to happen when the penny sits in the stomach for some length of time and is activated by the digestive juices.

1. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the penny that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things may be OK . For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

However if you fail to induce vomiting and recover the penny then what you can do is increase the fibre content in his diet. Feed him a diet of 75% boiled rice with 25% ground beef or boneless chicken. The idea is for the rice to bind the penny and pass it in the stool. If you do not find the penny in the stool within 24 hours I would have him checked over by a vet at that point for X-rays and possible recovery.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?