Dr. Elaine
Dr. Elaine, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  B.S.; D.V.M.; Small animal emergency and general medicine for 26 years
24704774

My Pomeranian is about 11 weeks old and my miniature

Customer Question

Hi my Pomeranian is about 11 weeks old and my miniature dachshund bit her because she was trying to take his toy. We separated them and she was bleeding and foaming from her mouth and had a little puncture on top of her snout kind of close to her nose. She seemed fine but now it's been about 5 hours since the bite and my Pomeranian all of a sudden is constantly trying to blow her nose it seems or almost sounds like a sniffle. She has a scab on top of her snout from the bite. Other than that I see physically nothing else wrong. What could cause her to be breathing like that? It's been constant for about 2 hours now.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Elaine replied 1 year ago.
HI there, this is Dr. Elaine
It is possible that the puncture went all the way from the outside into the nasal cavity/sinus.
There are probably dried bits of blood/clots within the nasal cavity that she is trying to expel, and as the hours have passed, inflammation/swelling is likely present, as well as some irritation. The blood inside the nasal cavity has likely dried, and inflammation can make her feel as though she has a stuffy nose.
http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/epistaxis-nose-bleed-in-dogs
Sometimes dogs will do something called a reverse sneeze, whereby they are trying to get fluid/material from the nasal cavity into the back of the throat. there are varying degrees of intensity to this, and such a young puppy likely would not/could not do this action with the same intensity as an older or larger dog could. See the following:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2335
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3L4v0W2_Sw
Reverse sneezing may or may not be occurring. The biggest concern I would have is for infection to develop in the puncture wound(s), so your veterinarian may want to prescribe antibiotics (usually liquid for young small patients). While this may not be an emergency, I would consider having her seen sooner rather than later since any dog bite wounds have the potential for infection. If bleeding begins, cold packs gently held on the top of the nose can help, but obviously if bleeding is severe or starts up all of a sudden, you must have her seen.
Hope this helps.
Kindly,
Dr. Elaine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help! I will try to have her seen soon if it doesn't get better!
Expert:  Dr. Elaine replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure, and thank you kindly,
Dr. Elaine