Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog has something in s paw i can't see or feel but i see

Customer Question

my dog has something in his paw i can't see or feel but i see a spot where there might be something. what can i do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
So sorry to hear your dog has a wound! I can definitely give you recommendations to minimize infection and reduce healing time but if there is any discharge or it is not healing then please have your vet evaluate the lesion to ensure additional medication is not warranted.
1.) No licking! If this area is reachable then please put a sock on the paw to prevent her from reaching the area. Licking introduces oral bacteria to the area and can increase risk of inflammation and infection
2.) Trim the hair around the wound to hopefully allow whatever is in there to angle out more readily
3.) Begin epsom salt soaks twice daily ten minutes followed by ivory soap and water or dog oatmeal shampoo also ten minute contact time before rinsing and tap dry. The epsom salt soaks will help the foreign material work its way out and the shampoo will minimize risk of infection
4.) I prefer to not apply salves or ointments because it traps in moisture to the area and reduces healing or delays healing time. If needed you can put a very thin layer of a triple antibiotic on the area after cleaning
5.) Remove any scabbing that occurs with healing. Again it also traps in moisture and then can actually abscess but also prevents that foreign material working is way out
6.) Limit activity. The more activity the more likely this wound will take longer to heal because the skin cannot heal in an active setting, particularly on the foot.
7.) Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to reduce itchiness and licking
Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions i can assist with or clarify today.
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!