Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a 7 month old dog with D&V thats seems to be getting

Customer Question

I have a 7 month old dog with D&V thats seems to be getting worse
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

2- Any blood in the stool?

3- How much does she weigh?

4- Is she lethargic?

5- How long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 - Not that I know of
2 - No that I can see - this morning was solid, this evening was very loose - no blood
3 - Approx 30 Kilos
4 - Yes - very miserable
5 - She first vomited about 6 am so about 15 hours
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am seeking advice because the vomiting has started to increase in frequency - she has not eaten or had anything to drink at all
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, vomiting and diarrhea can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections (parvo), etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting/diarrhea the first thing to do is give the gastrointestinal tract time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours or Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC or Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter