Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a 3 yr old yorkie. She has started turning up her

Customer Question

I have a 3 yr old yorkie. She has started turning up her nose to all food. She occasionally eats cooked chicken. She is drinking water (sometimes more and sometimes less). Please help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am so sorry no one has assisted you both today and that your little girl is not eating well
Unfortunately often diagnostics are required to determine the cause of her reduced appetite. It can be a metabolic cause such as addison's disease or a gi condition such as inflammatory bowel disease that is causing her reduced appetite so starting with some basic bloodwork and if that is normal then considering an abdominal ultrasound by a radiologist to evaluate the intestinal tract thickness, adrenal glands, spleen, liver can help guide treatment. In some cases endoscopy and biopsy is required to get an answer because everything returns normal.
But getting diagnostics done is the best way to hone in on her causes of reduced appetite and the best way to treat her successfully so she has many more happy years with you.
Below is information on the two main causes I have listed above but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. In the meanwhile, trying jarred meat flavored baby foods, canned kitten foods, and even ground bison meat are ways to entice her appetite for now...
IBD: http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/stomach-intestine-liver-or-pancreas/inflammatory-bowel-disease-in-dogs
Addison's: http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/hormones-body-chemistry/hypoadrenocorticism-addisons-disease-in-dogs
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!