Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I've been giving my 3 year old pomeranian chicken and jerky

Customer Question

I've been giving my 3 year old pomeranian chicken and jerky treats for the last two weeks. He is now having loose stools and very thirsty. I am now reading online that jerky treats are very bad for dogs. It is Sunday afternoon. Can he be seen by the vet tomorrow or should I take him to a pet ER tonight? Is there something I can do for him now?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Is it fair to say he is drinking more than usual? If so, how long has this been going on?

2- Is he lethargic?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was out of town for a week and he stayed with friend. She told me his stools were loose. I got him back yesterday and noticed his stools are loose, and he has been drinking a lot more water than usual. He is not lethargic, but not quite as energetic as usual.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, when a dog drinks more water than usual it is a sign an underlying medical problem. There are many possible causes. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: An active infection, hormonal disorders (diabetes, cushing's), kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes. The loose stool is a consequence of the increase water consumption and the underlying medical disorder.

To determine which of the above is the underlying cause Scout will need to have some blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test. Treatment will be determined by exam and test results.

In response to your question I would recommend you do have him checked by ER vet at the very least to get some blood work done and rule out things like diabetes or kidney disease which can have a negative outcome if not treated promptly.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter