Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My chihuahua has been scratching a spot on s side and has

Customer Question

My chihuahua has been scratching a spot on his side and has scratched off the fur. It's an area the size of a nickel. I've tried to put benadryl cream on it and it has not provided him any relief. He's now close to breaking the skin. He wears flea/tick drops, but I have checked him anyway and can't find anything on him. What do I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Where exactly on the side?

2- Is he scratching with his paw or licking/gnawing?

3- How long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's about 2 inches back from his front left paw. He is scratching it with his rear left leg. It started sometime in the middle of the night and there was no problem yesterday.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, it is important that you stop him from scratching or the lesion will not get better. This is what you can do:

1- Place a light bandage over the paw that he is using to scratch to prevent any more self inflicted trauma. To stop him from taking the bandage off you will need to place an ecollar (cone) on him. You can buy an ecollar (cone) over the counter in any pet store.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical cortisone cream. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 1-2 days follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Pedro. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter