How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 16215
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ingested 90mg of thc chocolate apoximatly 12 hours

Customer Question

my dog ingested 90mg of thc chocolate apoximatly 12 hours ago but is refusing to eat and drink what is it i should do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How much does Loki weigh?
Was it milk, white, or dark chocolate?
Has he had any vomiting, diarrhea, retching, tremors, or any other signs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
loki weighs about 63 pounds. it was about half a bar of milk chocolate. he is acting normal and has bright eyes and was happy to be walked this morning. no vomiting, diarrhea, or retching. he had very slight tremors last night for aproximatly 40 seconds. one thing that is worrying me is he refuses to drink any water since last night or eat any food, since breakfast yesterday.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now based on the dose he has had relative to his size, this is actually a low dose exposure for Loki. Therefore, we'd not be worried about the more sinister heart or neurological signs of chocolate toxicity and assume that his anorexia is related to the GI upset that this can also cause.
With this in mind, I would advise starting Loki on an antacid just now. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the ones I tend to use are:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)
* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.
Once that is on board, I suspect he will be more amenable to eat and drink for us. So, we can then try him with a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), cottage cheese, or meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic powder in the ingredients). As well, you can alternatively use a veterinary prescription diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The aim of these light diets is that they are easy on the compromised GI and tend to be better tolerated. We'd want to offer small meals to reduce any risk of nausea and this can be offered until he is settled.
Further to this, we do need to keep an eye on his water intake and hydration. To check Loki's hydration, there are a few things we can test at home. One is whether his eyes appear sunken, if his gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether he has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be a red flag to have him seen before this gets any further out of control.
Otherwise, to keep him hydrated, we do want to encourage him to drink but offering fresh water or even low-salt chicken broth. If he isn't keen and since he isn't vomiting, then you can offer Pedialyte (since it has electrolytes) via syringe. If you do so, the doggie daily fluid requirement is 48ml per kilogram of their body weight. So, we can supplement that through the day. Of course, if you syringe fluids and he vomits, then we'd have to stop this as a treatment (since vomiting is obviously counterproductive).
Overall, Loki thankfully hasn't had a large dose of chocolate here. His anorexia though tells us that it is upsetting his stomach. Therefore, we can try an antacid, light diet +/- syringe feeding fluids if we need to. As long as he settles over today, we are happy. But of course if his signs linger or he did vomit, then we'd need to consider having you local vet use injectable anti-nausea treatment to bypass his mouth and settle his stomach after this wee misadventure.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )