Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog has been crying and pacing do the last 12 hours. He

Customer Question

Hi there, my dog has been crying and pacing do the last 12 hours. He cries and paces at 5 minutes intervals, roughly.
He has not vomited, but he does have diarrhea and has had larger bowel movements than normal. The stool is lighter than usual, a yellowy green. But not much mucus, no liquid, just very soft. I've checked for intestinal and stomach distension, but everything is ok. And there is no pain when I touch him.
He's drinking and eating normally. He's just crying in pain every 5 minuets.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We also live in a mountain community and all the vet clinics within 80km are closed on Sunday's. We'd have to drive to Vancouver 10km away to get him to a vet, which is the only reason we've not been yet
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
Most likely MIcah has suffered an injury to a disc in his back. This is very common in huskies because of their conformation and energy level. Since Micah does not have any major digestive issues and is still eating, this is the most likely cause for his pain. The stress of this pain that this condition causes can cause this diarrhea. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, he will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when he jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way.

The best thing you can do for now as long as Micah is eating, is to give him aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing his pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow him to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize.

Keep him as immobile as possible. It is best to have your vet examine him to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate when you are able.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr Loretta,That does make absolute sense! Thank you.Micah is a rescue from Nothern BC and it seems to be in his nature to scavenge when we're out in the backcountry, he eats all sorts, so we've dealt with many episodes of upset stomach and this just didn't feel like any other stomach complaint he's had. Mostly because when he's feeling sick from eating something bad he just gets mopey and sad, he's a very relaxed and friendly dog, however in this case he's been twitchy and agressive. Very much an entirely different personality to what usually happens with a stomach problem.An injured vertebrae also makes sense because he's not wanted to jump in and out of the car this last week. On occasion we've had to lift him in and out.Micah also broke his leg a little over a year ago. He is fully healed now and has returned to hiking and biking, but is it likely thathis back be a result of his broken leg? At a slow walking pace he does still have a noticeable limp sometimes, but it goes away as soon as he picks up pace to a trot or job. I'm wondering if he's devloped a muscle imbalance that's had a knock-on effect to his spine. He's a very active dog and I have experienced something similar with my back as a result of an old ankle injury.Thank you again!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I gave Micah the aspirin in the dose you recommended and sure enough he's fast asleep. He didn't sleep a wink all night and this is the longest he's laid still in 24 hours!
Oh my!! Micah seems very sleepy!! He is so cute!! I am so happy that he is feeling better and able to get some rest...keep up the good work!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr Loretta,Could I ask last question. What is the long term prognosis for an injury of this type? Is it something that will be with him forever or can it be healed with physiotherapy?
In such a young dog, the disc will stabilize and Micah should not have any other issues unless he moves the wrong way again. The prognosis is very good that he will heal without risking other incidences.
Hi Victoria,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Micah. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta