Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog ate a little bit of plastic Friday after noon and

Customer Question

Hi, my dog ate a little bit of plastic Friday after noon and threw up three times. We took him to the vet and they gave him metronidazole and nausea medicine. Yesterday he ate some rice and chicken but he threw it up this morning and throws up when he drinks water too. He also hasn't poop since Friday afternoon.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He seems uncomfortable and does not want to go outside. What can we do?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
What anti-nausea medication did they give? Did they send any home for you to continue?
Did they xray his stomach?
Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?
If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Is he straining like he wants to pass feces?
Has he kept anything down since this started?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The nausea medication they sent home is metoclopramide. They did not xray his stomach they felt his stomach and they said he didn't show any discomfort and that his vitals were normal. His gums are pink and moist. When I press his belly he doesn't tense or show discomfort. He hasn't tried to pass feces at all he just urinates and sits down. We tried to walk him for a few minutes but to see if he would try but he didn't try at all and still hasn't. He kept rice and chicken down yesterday but this morning he threw up and it was rice with a yellow tint. I tried to feed him this morning and he doesn't want to eat, he does drink water but then vomits shortly after. He hasn't passed feces since Friday afternoon and hasn't even tried to he just sits down or lays down after he urinates and tries to come inside.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
When did he last have Metoclopramide?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. He had it at about 7:30 am, he drank water and 30 min later he vomited.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
I was afraid that you'd say that.
The reason is because if we are days on post ingestion and he is vomiting despite the Metoclopramide being on board, I am concerned that we have a blockage at this stage. As I am sure you can appreciate, it is not uncommon for a non-edible item to not cause issue in the larger stomach but then get stuck in the narrower intestines. And if this happens, then we often see vomiting no matter what drugs we give, an inability to pass stool (partly because nothing can get through and partly because the more they vomit the less there is to pass), and discomfort (which can be belly pain or just general restlessness or an inability to get comfortable or know what to do with themselves).
Therefore, with this in mind, if Spec was my patient I would be thinking about an xray here. Because as it is you are doing everything right, but your hands are tied if not even Metoclopramide can stop his vomiting. And if we cannot stop that, then we cannot use anything else (ie adding fiber or GI lubricants to his food) to help get this plastic passed and out of his system. Therefore, we really need to be seeing where that plastic is, what it is doing, and whether it is causing a blockage. If it is stuck in the GI, then surgery may be indicated. Though if they xray and its still in the stomach, then it could be removed using an endoscope (a scope with a camera). Or if its low in the colon, your vet may be able to use an enema to get it out.
Overall, the progression of his signs despite your good level of medical management does cause serious worry of blockage at this point. Therefore, we are limited with what we can do at home. You can try resting his stomach for a few hours and then offering sips of water to see if we can get him to keep that down and stabilize. But otherwise, if we cannot, then a blockage would be worry here and we'd need to consider an xray.
Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via
http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** try to feed him and give him the pill again? He just drank water again and I'm watching him now to see if he keeps that down.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
I would stick to small volumes of water until his next dose of Metoclopramide. If he keeps that all down, then once the Metoclopramide as had time to take effect (~1hr), then we can try a spoonful of your bland diet for him. If he keeps that down for 30 minutes, he can have a bit more and so on.
We just need to take a slow approach to see if we can get him settled, because if he just cannot with that then we are in that difficult blockage risk situation with Spec.
Take care,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,
All the best for Spec,
Dr. B.