Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog ate 7-10 pieces of orbit gum he is 14 pounds and very

Customer Question

My dog ate 7-10 pieces of orbit gum he is 14 pounds and very healthy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long ago?
Did this gum contain xylitol?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think about 45 minutes to an hour ago
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but I believe it is low on the list of ingrediants
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now I asked about the sugar in this product and that is very important here. The reason is because Xylitol is a very dangerous product for dogs. This artificial sugar is so worrisome is because it can cause blood sugar crashes (which can cause vomiting, collapse, wobbliness, weakness, tremors, seizures, and coma). As well, it can also cause liver damage and liver failure. So, we need to tread with care.
Therefore, if you even think that this has Xylitol, then we need to act fast. In fact, it would be ideal to have him to his vet now for decontamination and IV fluids. Otherwise, if there is any delay, then you need to induce vomiting at home. To do so, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.
As well, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.
Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.
Further to this, we can also treat with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)
These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.
Overall, gum with regular sugar is no worry and would only cause stomach upset. But if this had Xylitol that is a dangerous toxin and we'd need to act fast to help avoid any harm from this.
In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet. To find your local ER veterinary clinic, you can check HERE and @ http://www.vetlocator.com/
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
PS- I have just seen your second message about it being present. In that case, you need to start the above urgently to offset any risk here.
Please take care,
Dr. B.