Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog had a pancreatitis attack 2 weeks ago. He was doing

Customer Question

My dog had a pancreatitis attack 2 weeks ago. He was doing better when I tried royal canine lowfat dry food. I guess it irritated and brought back the ailment. Now after visiting the doctor, he's really been very lethargic. To the point where it's like
carrying a sack of potatoes. He's breathing normally, Heartbeat seems normal but he's totally out with pupils dilated. Is he just passed out because of all this. Also, before I took him to the vet he had water with some blood vomit. Right after he was already
feeling better and was trying to stand up. After the visit, even the small amount of baby food with furosemide ( his CHF ) he threw up after a couple of hours. Smelled like normal food, no bile scent at all.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now his front legs are extended out straight?!? still no sign of consciousness, mouth open, colors are fine. heart rate still seems normal. breathing normal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, he woke up a little and just opened his eyes a little. front legs can now be moved and contracted.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
What medications did your vet given him?
Any pain relief (ie Bupenorphine)? Any anti-nausea medication?
Even though you feel the rates is normal, can you take a breathing and heart rate for me just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
today he was given cerenia, sq fluids, b12 vitamins. i was sent home with 100mg amoxicillin 28 tablets for 14 days. this would be the 2nd batch for this so it will be 1 full month PK will be on antibiotics. Also, they gave me carafate 5ml 2x a day which i used earlier for his meds and some babyfood.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he threw up all the food and possibly the meds in it. this was about 2 hours since he ate. the food didn't smell like bile.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
after that he became really lethargic. to the point he won't even drink the water i use a dropper to his mouth.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
normal breathing right now. still bloated but doesn't look like he's in pain. light pink for his gums.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i haven't given him his current dose of furosemide and his holistic chf medicine since he won't even take water.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
How long ago was the Cerenia?
No pain relief for his condition?
How were those rates I asked about (as these are key to gauging how serious this situation is for your lad)?
Does he look bloated around his belly?
Is that pink lighter then usual?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, the doctor never game me anything for pain. but i have some tramadol which i gave him some when he's really in pain.
i would only give 1/4 a tablet of 50mg. i was also giving him 1/4 tablet of 20mg pepcid ac. breathing rate is around 4-5 per 10 seconds so around 24 per minute. it's always been very light pink. his belly is still bloated. but it's soft now. looks relaxed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
When did you last give any Tramadol?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
last night. when i noticed he was in pain judging from how he positioned himself. this morning when i was giving him water, he made a sound like he was in pain and then the threw it up with some blood. that's when i took him in to see the vet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sad.... he just passed away in my arms...
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Oh goodness,
Poor lad. Based on what we had been discussing and what I was typing just now, these were not signs we'd associated with pancreatitis. Instead, they were making me worried about PK having dehydration, residual Tramadol sedative effects, and decompensation of his heart condition with the strain of his vomiting. And if he has passed, then the latter was our main concern even if his breathing/heart rates had appeared normal. It just sounds like the vomiting and systemic disease was just overwhelming and straining his poor heart.
I am very sorry to hear that he has passed but it sounds like he hasn't suffered with it.
Please take care,
Dr. B.