Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Thank you. My 4 year old Yorkie poo is in a lot of pain. he

Customer Question

Thank you. My 4 year old Yorkie poo is in a lot of pain. he tried to jump on the bed earlier and started yelping. Can I give him xanex to calm him until i can get him to the vet tomorrow?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. Yes, Xanax (alprazolam) is a good choice not only to keep him quiet but relax the painful muscle spasms associated with presumptive intervertebral disk disease (a "slipped disk") in a miniature dog such as he. I dose alprazolam at 0.01 - 0.025 mg/lb 2-4 times daily. Please note, however, that alprazolam may have less effect on motor function (skeletal muscle relaxation, e.g.) at low doses than does diazepam (Valium).
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. Shadow finally found a comfortable position and was able to rest briefly. He is moving around a little better, I'm sure the medication will help tremendously! Thank you for acknowledging the delay in receiving an answer, hours feel like days when a family member is hurting! Have a wonderful day!
You're quite welcome. I understand! Thank you for the good update.
I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shadow appreciates your help too!
Give Shadow a kiss for me.