Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 2 year old, $10,000.00, Champion German Shepherd Stud has

Customer Question

My 2 year old, $10,000.00, Champion German Shepherd Stud has a mysterious hard lump on top of his muzzle. He's one of our sweet, pride and joy, 4-legged "children" ♡♡
~~ We do have 3 beloved, 2 legged SONS; Seth 20, (who is on a 2 year Mission in Spain ) Jacob 18 ( who's on a 2 year Mission in Barbados, West Indies )and Daniel 16, who's still in High School. ♥♥♥
Our FAMILY is also blessed with 6 wonderful German Shepherds. 4 of them are part of our small, but top QUALITY Breeding Program. Our amazing ☆ Stud☆, Fynn, has been with our family for approximately 9 months.
Last week, our Shepherds were chasing bumblebees in our back yard. Next day, Fynn had a lump on the top of his muzzle that was very hard. It disappeared in a couple days. 2 days ago, ANOTHER lump showed up on the same part of his muzzle. It's irregularly shaped, about 2 inches long, feels HARD, boney; almost touching the innermost part of his eye. I'm worried sick ! HELP! We can't get to the Vet until Monday. Thanks!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:
When the lump arose the second time, was it sudden in appearance? Has it been getting bigger?
Does it feel warm to the touch?
Any sneezing or nasal discharge?
Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Initially it seemed to be a normal round bump as you would expect from a bee sting, however it has been over a week and has gotten larger to the point of distorting his muzzle quite profoundly on the left side. It doesn't feel noticibly warm to the touch and there is no sneezing or nasal discharge. From touching it and watching him, it doesn't appear to be causing pain or discomfort now.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Poor Fynn!
I agree that is quite a distinctive lump. Now I am glad to hear that he has no nasal involvement, as this makes conditions that would erode through the nasal bone to push up on the skin and cause a lump less likely. As well, while allergic reactions would be preferable here, we can rule them out as well with the duration/progression of the lump.
Further to those, I would also note that genetic nor cancer based issues would not be our top worry at his age. Instead, even though it is very hard to the touch, we can see bacterial induced abscesses and even fungal granulomas appear in this manner. As well, with its location, we cannot rule out inflammation or blockage of the tear duct.
Now I am glad to see that you do plan to have him checked. We'd want his vet to assess the lump externally but also evaluate it via fine needle aspiration (FNA). This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the mass. Dogs do tend to be quite tolerant of this and often the sampling can be done in the consult room without sedation. If the vet performs the FNA and removes pus, then its a sign of an abscess/infection (which can be treated with antibiotics). Otherwise, the vet will stain the cells extracted to identify the nature of the mass (fungal agents can also be found this way). Of course, if the aspirate does confirm that this part of the bone, then an xray may also be indicated to see just what is present.
Depending on those findings, it may just be a case of antibiotics or flushing the tear duct to clear this. Or we may need his vet to take a biopsy sample to confirm the nature of the lump and whether it needs to be removed. But by knowing what is present, we can know what we are facing and address it properly for Fynn.
Please take care,
Dr. B.