Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I ropped an oxycodeon on thr floor and my dog picked it up.

Customer Question

hi i ropped an oxycodeon on thr floor and my dog picked it up. i dont think she got much of it in her, the tablet was wet but didnt appear to be chewed, she most likey just carried it off before i got it from her
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:
How much did she weigh?
What was the milligrams of the tablet?
How is she at this stage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is 10 pounds, a dachshund, she is 6 months old. It was a 10 MG tablet. It's been 9 hours now I stayed up till 4 am with her she is a bit groggy but seems fine otherwise. She might just be tired. She normally goes to sleep at least 10 pm. :) anything to watch out for today?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now I am glad that she didn't seem to eat much of this tablet, since it would have been a large dose for her size. If she had had it all, then we'd have been at risk of seeing profound sedation, weakness, lethargy, wobbliness, slowing of her heart and breathing rate, and collapse. So, to hear that she is only a bit groggy after 9 hours, this confirms that her dose was small and means that we can all breathe a sigh of relief for her. Furthermore, we'd assume at this stage that we are likely seeing the extent of adverse issue she will have with this situation.
So, we'd need not intervene or use any special treatment at this point. We just want to keep things calm today, make sure she drinks (as this will help flush out the drug), eats, and monitor her. And we'd expect her to regain her energy over the next 6-12 hours and get back to feeling like herself.
Finally, just in case she ever manages to get a whole tablet and eats it, I do just want to note that you can induce vomiting by using 3% hydrogen peroxide. To read how to do this, you can check HERE (http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/emergency-trauma-urgent-care/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs)
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear. :)
All the best to you both,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rick,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is great. Thanks for the follow up :)
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome & thank you for the update,
I am very glad to hear that she is doing well. :)
Take care & have a great day,
Dr. B.