petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

We just returned from the dog run and my 4 month old GSB has

Customer Question

Hi. We just returned from the dog run and my 4 month old GSB has thrown up four times and is showing sings of distress. He lies down for a few minutes and then moves again. He just cannot get comfortable
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am just wondering if someone can contact me. I have not heard from anyone yet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My puppy this morning is less restless but is absolutely not interested in food and is just lying down and barely moving. His breathing is regular and not rapid. He did drink some water but very slowly. He is weak as his walking is very slow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He had not thrown up this morning
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When do I get charged for this? The moment a Dr answers my question?
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance.
Can you look at his gums and see if they are nice and pink and if the color comes back quickly when you press on them? Are they moist or tacky to the touch?
Have you seen him pass a stool yet today?
Has he completed his puppy series of vaccines?
Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His gums are pale and they are a little tacky to the touch. When I touch them the colour does not come back immediately. He passed a stool last night late. They were firm and was not watery. He has completed all vaccines.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

This is very worrisome and I would tell you that if he is still exhibiting signs of restlessness and discomfort as well as weakness, I would definitely seek veterinary intervention today. It is a good sign that he passed a normal stool yesterday, but I worry about internal bleeding or a GI obstruction. Intestinal parasites are high on the list of causes of GI distress in pups, but they would have to be severe to cause that much discomfort.

Intestinal intussusception (a condition where the intestine telescopes in on itself) can lead to many of the signs you describe and is very uncomfortable. If present, and not treated, it can be life threatening. If you have ER services available and he is not improving, I would seek those out today.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. He is not s restless this morning but he is very lethargic and drinks very slowly. He has not vomited today. We do have an emergency vet hospital and we will go there asap. Thank you
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

That sounds like the safest plan. Please keep me updated as to how things progress.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Our little guy had emergency surgery today based in the X-rays that found some sharp pebbles in the gut. They also found some internal bleeding of the liver which is a mystery to the vet. He will be discussing this issue with other vets to determine the cause of this. My puppy from the moment we got him has been thin and rather skinny. He is growing but not fast enough and certainly not gaining weight. People have comments that he looked rather evacuated. The vet did suture the liver and will be keeping him over night to watch him. I would appreciate your thoughts on this issue of the liver. Thank you
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the update.

I am not sure what to make of the bleeding in the liver. When I hear of a puppy that is not thriving and is gaining weight as expected, I am suspicious of a possible hepatic (liver) shunt. Perhaps that may be what is going on and could be what he was seeing.

Here is a link with more information about liver shunts in dogs.

LINK HERE