Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is in a lot of pain coming from s neck. He has had a

Customer Question

My dog is in a lot of pain coming from his neck. He has had a CAT scan which showed no abnormalities. They also performed a spinal tap which came back perfectly normal. My question is, would an MRI show more of the soft tissue including nerves that could tell if he has a pinched nerve? Secondly, how much would an MRI cost for a dog. He is a basset hound and weighs about 50 lbs.
Thanks,
//Tyler//
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, Tyler. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
I am very sorry to hear about Dexter's situation. In cases like this, we do often use MRI to evaluate cases of neck pain. It is a very good diagnostic tool to visualize the spinal cord within the vertebrae and also the brain. It would help determine any changes (ie inflammation, masses, cysts, blood clots, diffuse infection, even change in tissue density, etc) in these tissues as well as surrounding muscle. In regards ***** ***** it often doesn't visualize the nerve tissue since it is small in diameter, but if there is a painful nerve sheath tumor or inflammation causing Dexter's pain, then we could see this on the scan. Finally, in regards ***** ***** this tends to cost $1000-2000. This cost includes the scan but also the anesthesia that he would need to ensure he stayed still during the scan.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )