Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Our dog has loose stools after returning from a kennel. She

Customer Question

Our dog has loose stools after returning from a kennel. She appears to feel fine but going every two or three hours even during the night. Withheld food for 12 hours, and today gave her boiled chicken and white rice. She is playful ,alert, and hydrated. Could I give her immodium or kaopectate?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A written reply is fine.....thank you.

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

Sorry to hear Milly is a little unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Sure, Kaopectate is commonly given to dogs with diarrhoea and this drug has a high margin of safety in dogs, this might be a better product to give than Imodium in smaller dogs. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet as well { As you have been doing } and it might be worth keeping this up in conjunction with the Kaopectate. This is logical and often works, basically feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice. Then when she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. A table spoon twice a day would be fine for a dog of your one's size.

4. Of course if things do not quickly improve or if you should note any deterioration then you should have your vet check Milly over without delay, there would be circumstances where prescription drugs such an antibiotics might be required.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hi Jane,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Milly. How is everything going?