Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog has her right eye puffy all the way around it and her

Customer Question

My dog has her right eye puffy all the way around it and her eye is red.
Can I give her bendryl - adult or children's - she's 85 pounds and her vet closed at five today. She was find until early this afternoon.
Thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. In direct answer to your question : Benadryl is used frequently in the dog where allergic reactions are suspected as in your case, and a typical dose rate would be 1 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight given orally twice a day. { Thus 85 mg in your case } It may be best to use the adult formulation just because of ease of dosing. Benadryl has a very high margin of safety in the dog so if it does not do any good the chances are it will not do any harm.

2. Where I give clients information about drugs or dose rates I like to supply a link so that they can check the accuracy of the advice I have given and read contraindications etc. : LINK

3. Where eyes are affected you should always take particular care as thing can suddenly get out of hand so if the condition does not rapidly clear up or if you should note any deterioration then you should have Snickers checked over by an ER vet without delay

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much. You did put me at ease. Will start treatment tonight. If it does persist I will take her to her vet on Monday.

Hello again ,

No problem, very glad to have advised you. I should be available online for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if Snicker's condition changes or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott