Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog was in the back yard few hours when I called her in

Customer Question

my dog was in the back yard for a few hours when I called her in for dinner her eyes were swollen shut and she was coughing. she ate normally but now while her eyes are somewhat more open, she is acting antsy like she is uncomfortable. she went into her crate on her own which for her is unnatural behavior. In there she pawed her bedding around a lot trying to get comfortable. Her breathing seems normal and I don't find any bee stings on her. What's going on I'm very concerned.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

You've described a hypersensitivity reaction that has caused her ocular and upper respiratory mucous membrane swelling resulting in coughing. This occurs secondary to envenomation as you mentioned but also to environmental allergens, foods, drugs, insecticides, and even changes in environmental variables. It sounds as if she's stable, however. The most serious of the hypersensitivity reactions - anaphylaxis - occurs right after insult and so she's past that danger point. Administration of an antihistamine such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) at a dose of 2 mg/lb (not to exceed 50 mg at any one dose) and repeated in 12 hours if need be should be helpful. If you happen to have prednisone or another corticosteroid at home, it will work quicker and more effectively. Please let me know.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jill. How is everything going?