Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

My little dachshund has severe red flaky around both eyes,

Customer Question

My little dachshund has severe red flaky around both eyes, one eye ball loos like it is moving up? what can I do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience . I am hoping I can help you with your dog today. Has she every had skin allergies?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No she has not, but she has had reoccurring eye allergies. She also has leukemia. Her eyes look awful.

Sorry to hear about her eyes. How long has she had leukemia for? Is she on any medications for it? Any medications for the eyes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is taking Azathioprine and prednisone. No me da for her eyes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has had the leukemia for over 6 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her eyes have alot of discharge coming from her one eye.

Has it been well controlled with the meds during the 6 years? With the redness around the eye I would be worried about the eye allergies acting up. So she may benefit from medicated eye drops. Is she rubbing the eyes? When you describe that one eyeball looks likes it is moving up are you referring to the extra eyelid or is it the whole eyeball that seems out of position. Are you able to share a picture of the eyes?

She may also have something else going on with her eyes. A couple of problems you may consider is glaucoma which is increase pressure in the eyes or dry eyes which is when the eyes are not producing tears efficiently. Testing would need to determine if those are the case.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't seem to take a picture, don't know why? Could you recommend something for her?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think this should be done before Monday?

There is no option to upload pictures from your phone? If she seems extremely uncomfortable and painful with her eyes I would have her checked out before Monday. Since we don't know exactly what is going on with her eyes I would be afraid to put anything in the eyes without the risk of making things worse.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is not scratching, or does not seem to be in pain, but thank you. I will continue to put warm wash clothes and vaseline. Thank you again.

Glad she is not in pain. I am sure the prednisone that she is taking for the leukemia may be helping with that. Watch her closely to make sure that doesn't change. Let me know if you have any further questions regarding her eyes.

You can still follow up with me for a few days, even after you have accepted my answer and rated me. I usually answer any questions within 24 hours.

Good luck with her and I hope everything works out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!

you are welcome!