Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

MY DOG HAS SUDDENLY WENT BLIND IN TWO MONTHS. HE IS ONLY

Customer Question

MY DOG HAS SUDDENLY WENT BLIND IN TWO MONTHS. HE IS ONLY SEVEN YEARS OLD. CAN YOU HELP ME
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

I might need more information to help you. Do you know specifically WHY he went blind? Was it cataract, hypertension (related to heart or kidney disease), retinal degeneration, cancer, etc?

Has he seen an ophthalmologist? If so, what medications is he currently taking for his condition?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know he does not have cataracts or hypertension. I am not sure on retinal degeneration or cancer. No, I have not seen a Ophthalmologist.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I really wish I could give you an exact diagnosis for his problem and the treatment really does depend on what caused the blindness to begin with (e.g., retinal degeneration versus hypertension versus intraocular issues like glaucoma or uveitis). He needs an exam with his regular veterinarian to start (ASAP- tomorrow is best). Your vet should do some basic testing that would include an intraocular exam, tonometry (intraocular pressures) and blood pressure measurement +/- lab work. that should help narrow down the cause and then to know if there is any medication that might improve the situation. Unfortunately the longer a dog is blind the lower our chance is for reversing the process.

You sound as if you are looking for an easy over-the-counter remedy and there is, unfortunately, none. There are no topical drops I can recommend to help nor any oral medications or supplements or herbals. This is an issue that requires an exam and some testing before any sort of prognosis can be made or any recommendations on treatments. :(

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Miller. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey