Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

30 lb doggy ran hard after a deer (my wife told me; I do not

Customer Question

Hello Doc .... 30 lb doggy ran hard after a deer (my wife told me; I do not know for how long distance). It was 2 days ago. She is badly limping and does not want to put weight on her right left leg. I can touch her all over that place and she does not react to it. It seems to be a little better but again is not that great.
Kris
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Just Answer:
Your web page is not clear. It asks for credit card number to charge $19 and after that talks about plans for a month, etc. I am not interested at this time about any extended plans. To proceed (after taking credit card numbers, it forces a person to choose from one of the options plans. I did not read all the agreements and after having no option related to "no plans at this time" I have exited your web page.
It did not give me any other options.
Thanks,Kris
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
First, if Pebbles is older and already on Rimadyl for her aged joints, then she has probably strained a muscle with this intensive activity. There is, of course, a risk that she could have a damaged a ligament if this was her back leg, but a full rupture of a tendon would be less likely here.
Now before I discuss supportive care for Pebbles, I do need to comment on the dose of Rimadyl you are giving. This is a drug that lasts 24 hours, so to use it twice daily at this dose if a major overdose. She should only be having 2mg/kg which is 27mg every 24 hours at most. What you are giving is 5.5x that. So, this dose needs to be reduced as soon as possible since overdosing her at this rate could cause her a stomach ulcer or even perforate her stomach.
Otherwise, we'd want to restrict activity and rest this leg. Specifically, we'd only want to have lead walks into the garden to do her business and then back inside (no stairs, jumping, or climbing on furniture). As well you can use a bit of supportive care to help this settle for her. If she is amenable, you can consider massaging or warm compressing the leg. If you don't have a warm compress on hand, you can make a microwaveable one by filling a sock 2/3rd full with rice and popping it in the microwave for a few minutes (of course, do give it a shake afterwards to distribute the heat and make sure its not too warm before use).
As well, on top of her Rimadyl, you can consider some supplements to naturally reduce inflammation and support her joints. For example, you can consider supplementing her with fish oil (omega 3 or 6; EPA/DHA) and/or glucosamine/chondroitin. In regards ***** ***** former, these can be helpful as they do have anti-inflammatory properties. In regards ***** ***** we tend to give this at a rate of 20mg per pound of their body weight. And while more a long term option, it could just help soothe her inflammation and get her more comfortable quicker. Furthermore, you can use glucosamine/chondroitin here. These are a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). They work to aid joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Normally we give dogs 300mg glucosamine + 50mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight. So, these would be worth consideration for her as well.
Finally, if you rest her and try the above but she still shows lameness in this leg after resting her, then we'd want to follow up with her vet. As well, if you were to see any appetite loss, vomiting, belly pain, pale gums or black feces; then those would be stomach ulcer signs that would cue us to having her seen as well. In the case of the leg though, we'd want the vet to check for any signs of injury or soft tissue inflammation. Depending on their findings, we may need them to xray her or at the very least add in an additional pain relief (ie Tramadol, Gabapentin) to work with the Rimadyl in helping reducing her discomfort and get her using the leg properly again sooner.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr. B.The dosage on the bottle with 75 mg pills is once a day (the twice a day was my mistake; it is once a day and it was for Pebbles) but even so it is much larger than the 27 mg. I will double check on it. Walking her on the backyard it is what I will have to do because as soon as she is a little better she just charges forward. I would like to believe that it is strained muscle but nothing is sensitive to a touch and I have difficulty to figure out what area hurts. She allows me to massage the right leg in any place the same as the left rear leg. She learned how to walk on three legs and I will have to cage her to keep her from activity. I will follow all your suggestions.Regards,Kris
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Kris,
Actually, strained muscles often don't hurt to the touch. They hurt when the dog flexes and extends them during movement (since they are stretching the inflamed muscle). It is much the same as it is with us. And this is why warm compressing can be soothing for these situations.
Otherwise, I am glad that it wasn't a twice daily dosage. Still, I agree that the 75mg is more then we'd usually give on a regular basis (since that would be a regular dose for a 37.5kg or 82.5lb dog). We do on some occasions use a double dose (so 54mg for a 30lb dog), but that would be a one day treatment dose and not something we'd keep them on daily. So, this is worth checking for her.
All the best,
Dr. B.