Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My pom who is almost 10 had pyometra surgery in May she

Customer Question

My white pom who is almost 10 had pyometra surgery in May she closed pyometra and took antibiotics forever but she feels wonderful now. She is back to herself. Anyhow she bleed on my skirt tonight and has dried blood on her vagina and when I pulled her lips 9of the vagina open) she has a sore inside. Please advise. I love her so much
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has not been drinking more water than usual and her appetite is good lately she only wants to eat vegetables. She is on prednisone because of a food allergy and can only eat lamb, venison,rabbit yu get the idea no beef or chicken. I put her on grain free and she got fat. she was always 7 pounds nw 10.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:
How much blood did she pass? A spoonful, more, less?
Is the sore raised or just an ulcer?
Has she been passing normal urine?
Or passing small amounts often?
Does she appear to be licking her vagina more often?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The sore is raised and it has a center. I have not seen her licking her vagina. I would say maybe 2 or 3 tsps. On my skirt. She will not let me see her poop but she pees short streams.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can she be in heat after her uterusis gone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still here???
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience (as you can see I had quite a bit to type).
First, as her vet removed her ovaries along with her uterus, she cannot have a heat anymore. So, that would not be a concern here. Furthermore, while we can see on stump pyometras (arising from the tiny bit of cervix left) on rare occasions, this does not sound the case for Lexy either.
Instead, in this case and with your findings, it does sound like this lump with the sore is out culprit here. Now if the sore has a lump underneath, we do need to tread with care. This may just be swelling under a soft tissue trauma, but we can see lumps with ulcerated tops appear on top of abscesses/infection and if we have a vaginal growth. And the last 2 could have caused a sudden rupture of the tissue to cause this sore and cause her to pass that blood you saw.
Therefore, with this in mind, we do want to start bathing/flushing this region with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute chlorohexidine or salt water -1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) 2-3 times daily. Afterwards we want to gently pat it dry. If she is not licking it at all, you can apply a thin layer of OTC triple antibiotic cream to aid healing of the sore. While doing this, we do want to make sure she isn't licking at all nor scooting/dragging her backside on the ground. If we were to see either, we may need to consider the short term use of a pair of small boxer shorts (turned backwards for a tail hole). This will prevent both actions and allow the area to heal.
Of course, as you do this for the next few days, do monitor the lesion. If that swelling doesn't settle down or if she seems sore (especially when passing urine), then we'd want to have this checked by her vet. They can treat with antibiotics and dog safe anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, Onsior, etc) to address infections and inflammation. And if they palpate the lump and are worried about anything sinister, then they can aspirate cells from it to tell you what it is.
Overall, this doesn't sound to be related to Lexy's pyometra and we'd not assume this is a heat or related to her uterus. Therefore, we'd want to start some supportive care for this sore/lump. But if it doesn't settle in the next few days, then we'd want to have it checked to make sure it is not an infection or growth that may need further treatment to address.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are phenomenol! I will rate you highly. Superb! Thank uou so verry much!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear. :)
All the best for Lexy and yourself,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lexy. How is everything going?
nekovet